Friday, December 22, 2017

Repaired an Old Squier 15 Watt mini blues amp!

The board had been Cracked on mounted Input Jacks!
A real vintage look for a formerly cheap lil amp.
I replaced the volume pot and also knob with a small Chickenhead knob!
I got my Dad to fit an old Woodcut I did in Art for missing backing!


    My friend gave me this amp that he had lying around that he said didn't make a sound.  Later, I disassembled it and found it had a damaged volume pot, but that wasn't the problem.  After replacing it with one of Mammoth Electronic's odd oversized pots I realized something was still wrong as there was no sound still.  It all looked good until I took the board out and flipped it upside down.  This time I cleaned the dusty old board well with an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.  Now that I could see the board better I noticed a crack on the board severing the connections coming from the inputs jacks.  So I used an exacto blade to scrape and expose the the cut copper path coming from jacks and soldered a bridge across using the legs of unused resistors I had. This solved the issue and now the amp works great.  It has some very interesting eq's and works as a good monitor in my tight apt area and with my my strat.  I read later that I can sheild those same two inputs better from the back to eliminate interference as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment