Saturday, May 14, 2016

Inside the Technics Tonearm


Recently I began having to replace the poor RCA wires that came equipped on my Technics SL 1200 M3D's turntables.  Taking the Tone arm out was relatively easy.  You just have to be really precise when you solder the wires to the board and have to really squeeze the wire through a small snap when piecing the turntable back together (make sure the wires are not too thick like good Gold plated ones can be).  I got a nice solid wire from guitar center and cut it (3ft).  The ground wire is connected to the gold screw.  I didn't replace that.  Make sure you put a new plastic tie to hold to the board tightly.  This will absorb some of the tugs!  All the instruction on how to do this are on Youtube and online ;^)
Notice the small wires on this one.  A good reference in case you you have to rewire tonearm!  I'm saving that for a Technics SL 1200 that I'm rebuilding!

1 comment:

  1. Note - I had long ago just redid the wire's connection near the mixer, but the poor quality radio shack connectors mixed with the pinched wire going into the deck would make the sound go off in one speaker periodically in both units. The answer was a whole new cable. It is way better shielded and I didn't pinch it too hard going into the deck!

    ReplyDelete