Saturday, June 4, 2016

Finally getting my diy fuzz'z rolling!

Well I finally got it rolling!  The case was a fun place to start because I am already pretty familiar
with wiring the circuit.  That requires lots of concentration so this was a fun way to start!  I got a 1050b enclosure from Mammoth Electronics in OK.  They are great and very friendly people!  I then measured the unit and spaced the holes very carefully with a small ruler form Hobby Lobby.  I did the switch hole first. It was 1/2 ".  However, I didn't have a 1/2 bit that wasn't for wood!  I then drew the circle and then drilled a hole with a 3/8 bit.  I then filed the hole with some basic metal files.  It was easy but it made me get a little work out and a sweat!  Then I drilled the 3/8" holes for the the input/output jacks up top.  This was rather easy. I used sunglasses to protect my eyes! Last, I used a 1/4" bit for the volume/fuzz pots (needed filing).  Be careful positioning these so that the jacks will fit.  I drew it all out with a pencil before on the enclosure before drilling.  

Lastly, I noticed the hole I did for the input jack was too close to the edge and the jack wouldn't fit!  So I just slide the bit to the side while drilling till the hole was in the right position.  Unfortunately, it left a big hole that looked bad (even though the jack fit).  I then had to get out my JB weld and mix it.  I tried to mold it for a long time to get it to cover the hole enough to make the circle.  Unfortunately, after it dried it was lob-sided!  Then, I proceeded to engineer a little tube with the cardboard of a matchbook to the size of the circle! I held it in place by placing a a screwdriver through it.  Then I just put just enough JB Weld to make a circle perfect.  This worked great! I then took the cardboard out before it completely dried.  Last, I filed down the excess weld and made flat surfaces and a perfect circle.  Now I am ready to prime and paint it!  The knobs I chose are from an old Vestax Dj Mixer that is not really functioning right now.  

Overall, this has been a fun project so far!  Stay posted for more pics and progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment